Thinking about signing up? Some things you should know:
Who can participate in the VIA Codeathon?
The 2019 VIA Codeathon is open to any registered attendee to participate. You can be a developer, designer, idea person, or anything in between.
Is there a registration fee?
No. Registration is free, but you must register by February 18, 2019. Registration is limited, so register before space fills up.
Do I have to register as a team?
Yes! Attendees must register as a team, each composed of at least two and at most five individuals.
Will on-site registration be available?
No. Participants must form and register their team by February 18, 2019 to secure a spot.
When does registration end?
Participants and their teams must be registered by February 18, 2019.
What is the age limit for participants?
Participants must be at least 18 years of age at time the of the event.
What types of projects can Codeathon teams work on?
Codeathon teams can work on any type of project (web apps, mobile apps, wearable solutions, data visualizations, algorithms, or visual mock-ups, for example).
What data sets will be available for participants to use?
Public data sets and developer resources are posted to GoCodeSA.com. Exclusive data sets will be announced prior to the event.
What is the challenge?
Challenges will be posted to GoCodeSA.com/challenges and will focus on public transportation. Participants can choose to work on a provided challenge, but are not limited to them.
What is the judging criteria?
Projects will be judged on impact, innovation, and technical achievement.
Impact – Would the application have real social impact? Can it change the world, or at least help someone in our community? Does it solve a stated goal of the VIA Codeathon?
Innovation – Is the solution novel? Does it solve a problem in a creative or never-seen before way?
Technical Achievement – Did the participant(s) solve a hard technical problem? Did they get a working demo completed within the allotted time?
Will there be food and drinks?
Yes! Food and drinks will be provided for participants during the Codeathon.
Is this an overnight event?
No. However, teams are encouraged to use the collaborative spaces available at Trinity University’s Center for the Sciences and Innovation (CSI) during the times listed in the event schedule. We will also be giving away prizes throughout the event, but you must be present to win.
Will prizes be awarded?
Yes! Contestants of the 2018 Codeathon competed for more than $5,000 in cash and prizes, provided by various sponsors. 2019 Codeathon will have over $11,000 in cash and prizes!
Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
Drop us a message!
What are the GoCodeSA Terms & Conditions?
Here are the official terms and conditions for the 2019 VIA GoCodeSA Codeathon:
ENTRY IN THIS COMPETITION CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
VIA Metropolitan Transit is looking for you to take on the challenge of creating the future of advanced mobility services. You will be given the unique opportunity to work with VIA experts to develop an idea over the course of 48 hours filled with exciting and intense sessions of co-creation, coding, design and collaboration.
And remember – this event is meant for you to develop an innovative product for the public good, but we also want to make it clear below that you will retain rights to your code for future use and improvement at your own discretion – after all, it is you and your team’s awesome creation. Our aim is to create a simple agreement to protect all parties and clarify how this all works up front! All we ask below is that you grant VIA a license and right to modify your submission for our own use. If you can turn your creation into a profitable enterprise with other transit agencies or commercial entities, we feel you should go for it!
And remember – THERE IS NO PURCHASE OR ENTRY FEE NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE OR WIN.
A. BINDING AGREEMENT
In order to participate in the VIA goCodeSA Codeathon, (“Event”), you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read these Rules to ensure you understand and agree, prior to participation. You agree that Entry (defined below) for the Event constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit an entry to the Event and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and Sponsor (VIA Metropolitan Transit) with respect to the Event.
To be eligible to participate in the Event, you must be 18 years of age at time the of the event. The Event is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Your entry must be your original work and have not been won a previous competition.
Please note: If you are an employee of a corporation, government agency, or an academic institution, you are solely responsible for ensuring that your participation in the Event complies with any policies your corporation, agency, or institution may have regarding participation in contests of this type. We are not responsible for any disputes arising between you and your employer.
C. PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will be collecting personal information about you when you submit an entry into the Event. We will use and share this personal information in order to fulfill the requirements of the Event, such as judging, announcement of winners, and event publicity. None of your data will be shared with third parties for marketing or other purposed not related to the Event of future Events. By submitting your Event entry via the Event Site (defined below) and accepting the terms on the entry form, you agree to communicate for the purpose of this promotional competition with Sponsor electronically.
D. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for any prize, you must submit an Entry that meets the following requirements (“Entry Requirements”):
- Allowed Technologies:
- Other Allowed Technologies: You are also able to use sample code, libraries, SDKs, and APIs as long as these technologies are:
- Publicly available and discoverable – for the purpose of Other Allowed Technologies, this shall mean available on the internet ; indexed and reachable through the top three search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo);
- Easily accessible (i.e., anyone can download or access if signup is required, access must be granted within 3 hours); and
- Permitted for use for the development in a concept such as the one being submitted in this Event and you include all necessary attribution or information required by the developer of such third-party technology when submitting the concept. Please note: If you use any third party copyrighted materials, you must have appropriate permission with evidence of the same.
- With the exception of the Other Allowed Technologies, all code included in your Entry must be created by you and your registered team during the course of the Event. All materials related to the Entry must be in English.
- Your Entry must be within the general spirit of the Event and meet the following requirements:
- Must not violate or infringe the rights of others including, without limitation, patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, publicity, privacy or other proprietary rights, and the Entry is your original work and you have secured all rights necessary from third parties to submit the Entry (see “Warranty” Section below for more details);
- Must not contain any malware or spyware or be otherwise harmful to our computer system or the computer systems of others;
- Must not impersonate or misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity;
- Must not be unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, tortuous, or contain explicit or graphic descriptions or accounts of, sexual acts, or otherwise contain any other content that is objectionable;
- Must not victimize, harass, degrade, or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability;
- Must be within the general spirit and guidance of the Event, including meeting the terms of these Rules and the Entry Requirements;
- Must not contain an advertisement or solicitation not affiliated with the Sponsor; and
- Must not contain imagery, content, recording or other element that is owned by a third party (except as expressly permitted hereunder).
- By submitting an Entry, you understand and acknowledge:
- You acknowledge that we, other entrants or others may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your Entry, and you waive any and all claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry.
- You understand that we cannot control the information you disclose to us or our representatives in the course of participating in the Event, or what we or our representatives will remember about your Entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your Entry. By participating in the Event, you agree that we may use any information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services without liability or compensation to you.
- You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit from us for use of your Entry in connection with this Event. This provision does not limit any compensation you may receive through us or third parties as a result of your use or marketing or profiting from the application beyond this Event or as provided in these Rules. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your Entry by those accessing or viewing your Entry.
- Please note that after the Event you and/or your Entry may be publicized in advertisements related to the Event. These advertisements may be distributed online and posted on our site, our affiliates’ sites or third-party websites.
- While we reserve the rights set forth above, we are not obligated to use your Entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning Entry.
- If you do not want to grant us the rights noted in these Rules to your Entry, please do not enter this Event.
- Nothing in these Rules shall be interpreted as granting you permission to use or display any of the trademarks (including without limitation the words “VIA Metropolitan Transit”, the VIA logo)
E. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
License: Please note that you will retain ownership over your Entry; however, as part of your participation, you agree to grant Sponsor a license in accordance with the terms of this provision. By submitting an entry into the Event, you grant to the Sponsor the right, without limitation, to display the Entry online and in any media now known or hereinafter developed. Further, you agree to grant to the Sponsor an irrevocable and perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide right, in all media (now known or later developed) to (a) use, review, assess, test, modify, develop, communicate, sub-license and otherwise analyze your Entry and all its content in connection with the Event, including in any marketing for the Event; and (b) an option and right of first refusal to enter into an additional license or agreement with you to the idea contained in your Entry after the conclusion of the Event. By participating in the Event, you agree to sign all documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights granted herein, if necessary.
Except where prohibited by law, by accepting a prize, a prize winner consents to Sponsor and Administrator’s use of your likeness, photograph, audio-visual footage, comments, name, biographical information, Entry, voice, or any other record of your participation in the Event for advertising and publicity purposes in any and all media worldwide (including winners list) without additional compensation or notification. The name of prize winners may be utilized in communications and advertising, including being posted on the websites of the Event Entities. Please note that the Event may be filmed or photographed.